The USC Admission Center is the guest relations branch of USC’s Office of Admission. We serve as the face and voice of the university to prospective students and their families and we deliver tours and presentations to alumni, VIPs, and other guests to USC’s University Park Campus.
The Student Ambassador application is only open at the beginning of the fall semester. Students interested in being Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leaders can apply at the beginning of the fall or spring semesters.
For more information on the Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leader application cycle, please visit the Tommy’s Tours website.
The Student Ambassador application will open at noon on Thursday, August 1st, 2019. It is due at 5pm on Friday, September 6th, 2019.
Student Ambassador timeline:
- Thursday, 8/1/19, 12pm – Application becomes available
- Wednesday, 8/28/19, 11am – Involvement Fair
- Thursday, 8/29/19, 5pm – Information Session – TCC 202
- Tuesday, 9/3/19, 5pm – Information Session – TCC 202
- Friday, 9/6/19, 5pm – Application due
- Monday, 9/16/19 – First-round group interviews begin
- Friday, 9/27/19 – Second-round individual interviews begin
- Early October – Job offers are made
Please note: dates listed are subject to change.
Both Student Ambassadors and Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leaders perform crucial functions to support the efforts of USC’s Office of Admission. Student Ambassadors are paid student workers who serve all types of campus guests. Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leaders are trained volunteers who specialize in elementary and middle school group tours. Both teams work together to deliver an enjoyable and memorable experience for the thousands of guests who visit campus each year.
Additionally, all of our student staff members are passionate about the USC experience and become skilled and persuasive communicators to diverse audiences. As an office that heavily values and practices teamwork in everything we do, we strive to share a genuine narrative of our experience at USC with others and act as positive role models for both prospective and admitted students from a variety of backgrounds.
For more complete information on each position, click here.
Currently enrolled first-year (freshman), sophomore, and junior students are eligible to apply for the paid and volunteer positions. Graduate students who are not in their final year of study can also apply to be Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leaders.
Admission Center staff are paid student worker jobs at the university. Work study is accepted but not required. However, the Tommy’s Tours Tour Leaders are a volunteer position, and hence unpaid.
Yes, our office accepts work study students, although you certainly don’t have to be a work study student to apply.
Admission Center staff members are expected to:
- Attend weekly Wednesday staff meetings from 5-6pm
- Be available 1 week during either winter or spring break and 20 days during the summer, 10 of which must be in June, July, or August
- Work 7 hours per week during the school year
- Work at least 4 weekend days for retreats and Undergraduate Admission events
New Admission Center staff members must successfully complete a 15-week training program consisting of Friday afternoon sessions (1 – 5 PM), varying shadow hours in the office, as well as passing the final exam. While it varies based on the student, many new hires spend between 8 – 10 hours per week working during the training stage. At the conclusion of training, we ask new members to commit to a minimum of 7 hours of work each week. A trained Student Ambassador can work up to 20 hours per week in our office.
Tommy’s Tour leaders are expected to:
- Attend a weekly or bi-weekly team meeting, depending on the time of year
- Provide consistent availability for approximately 3-4 Tommy’s Tours Group Tour time slots per month, though this depends on the time of year
- New Tommy’s Tour VolunTour Leaders must successfully complete an 8-week training program consisting of a 1-2 hour long training each week, varying tour shadow hours, attend a half-day retreat on a Saturday or Sunday, as well as pass their final tour. At the conclusion of training, we ask new members to commit to a minimum of 3-4 hours (3-4 tours) each month
For Student Ambassadors, you should receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of submitting your application. In early September, a member of the Admission Center will reach out and let you know if you are invited to a group interview.
The Tommy’s Tours program interviews students at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
Of course! Many of the new students we hire each fall are freshmen and we value the contributions they bring to our team since they recently went through the college application process themselves. Additionally, our office has a robust and fun training process which teaches all the skills necessary to be a successful ambassador to the university.
We’ll be hosting two information sessions on August 29th and September 3rd at 5pm in the Admission Center (Tutor Campus Center/Sample Hall 202). At the information sessions, you can meet members of the Admission Center and ask questions about being a Student Ambassador and a Tommy’s Tours VolunTour Leader.
Our office also sends representatives to the Work Study Fair, Involvement Fair, and numerous new student orientation sessions. For more details on how to meet us at these events, follow us on Instagram @usctommystours and @usc_admcenter.
Although info sessions and events around campus are the best way to meet us, you may also visit the Admission Center in-person to ask recruitment-related questions. We are located in TCC 202 (on the second floor of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center) and are open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm.
Yes! Our newest position, Tommy’s Tours Tour Leaders, is available for graduate students who are not in their final year of study.
We are on the second floor of the Ronald Tutor Campus Center/Sample Hall in Suite 202.
Student Ambassadors are paid $14.25 per hour, consistent with the minimum wage in Los Angeles. The VolunTour Leader (VTL) position in Tommy’s Tours is a volunteer position.